Wednesday, November 14

Fabulous fun with Fabric!

I LOVE fabric.. the textures and colors have always fascinated me. I've been working with fabric every since I was 8 when I made a bag for my mum's birthday present. I felt an immense sense of accomplishment! Now, I get such a thrill when I see little ones experience a similar feeling when they look at the fruits of their labor. 


I recently introduced a dozen kids to the world of fabric paints and techniques at a 'design your do' art session. They started off learning how to stamp patterns on fabric - using wood blocks and rubber stamps. We then moved on to stenciling and freehand painting.  We wrapped up with each of them designing their very own apron or t-shirt.



Some of the parents stayed for the session and it turned into an impromptu parent-child project. So fun!

It was amazing to see their excited wide eyes as they peeled off the stencils and lifted the stamps. Creativity was really high with some of the kids conjuring up whole stories on their shirts and mixing various techniques to create something that was truly their own! 

And if I had to make a prediction, the designer bug has bitten more than a handful of these kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment